This "Wicked Easy" white pizza is my version of a recipe I got out of a 2017 Bon Appetit magazine article!
Here are the white sauce ingredients. In the small bowls are fresh chopped basil, chopped chives, crushed red pepper flakes and a small garlic clove.
We need to puree the heavy cream, basil, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic and red pepper flakes. You can use a regular blender, food processor, or an immersion blender to do it.
You want to puree the ingredients until thick and creamy. It doesn’t take very long, maybe 10 to 15 seconds depending on your equipment. Do not overmix or the mixture will separate, and you will have grainy fresh churned butter!
Mix the grated parmesan cheese into the puree and then season to taste with the salt and pepper. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate. The sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or even frozen for use at a later time!
The next step would be to prepare your pizza dough. Whether you use homemade, or store bought, you will need to roll out the dough and fit it to your pan. Click this link to see our pizza dough recipe blog post.
Spread the white pizza sauce generously over the crust and then top with your choice of grated cheese. In this photo I am using low moisture mozzarella cheese.
I like to cook my pizza in a pre-heated 450*F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size and thickness.
When done, remove the pizza from the oven and let cool slightly before taking it out of the pan.
Place the cooked pizza onto a cutting board and top with optional grated parmesan cheese and /or fresh chopped herbs of your choice. Fresh rosemary, oregano, or parsley (as shown) are great additions to the white pizza!
Slice the hot pizza into portion sized shapes and serve immediately. Cover leftover pizza tightly and store in the refrigerator. Baked pizza slices can also be frozen for up to 3 months!
White pizza sauce – This recipe is similar to making a ranch-style dressing, except we put it on pizza! The sauce also goes great on other items such as baked or roasted potatoes, grilled chicken or fish, or even cooked or steamed vegetables!
White Pizza Sauce Recipe
The white pizza sauce is tangy and fresh, like a light garlicy ranch dressing! It not only goes great on pizza, but lots of other items as well, such as roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables, and grilled chicken & fish!
- 1 blender or food processor
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 each Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
- Puree the heavy cream, basil, chives, lemon zest and juice, garlic and red pepper flakes together using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender until thick and creamy, about 15 to 20 seconds. Do not overmix or it will separate, and you will have grainy fresh churned butter.
- Add the grated Parmesan / Romano cheese and then season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerated until needed. The sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for even longer.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Pesto is another great ingredient to spread on pizza as an alternative to red sauce. Making fresh pesto is so easy to do and 10 times better than the store-bought jarred variety. Below is a video that shows you just how easy it is to make and its versatility.
Please follow, share, and like us: