Fresh Berry Cobbler
This "Wicked Easy" classic cobbler is made with an assortment of fresh berries, which add sweetness and provide texture to the filling!
These are the ingredients to make the Fresh Berry Cobbler! For this recipe you will need 4 cups of fresh berries of your choice, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries. I like to use an assortment and try to pick what is in season for the best flavor and price!
To start, whisk 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of the sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of the zest in a large bowl.
When well mixed, add in the berries and toss to coat evenly. Then stir in the vanilla extract and fresh lemon juice.
Pour the berry mixture into the prepared baking dish, making sure to scrape down the bowl’s sides so as not to miss any of the juices!
In the same bowl that as used to mix the berries, add two tablespoons of sugar, the remaining zest, flour, baking powder, and the remaining salt.
Using two butter knives (or a pastry cutter), cut the remaining butter into the flour until pea-size lumps form.
Once the butter has been cut into the flour, stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
Top the berry mixture evenly with spoonfuls of the dough. Then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the top of the cobbler.
Bake the fresh berry cobbler in a pre-heated 400*F. oven until golden brown and bubbling, about 35 minutes.
To serve, use a spoon to scoop out the warm berry cobbler onto individual dessert bowls or plates.
You can also serve the warm fresh berry cobbler topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, which is the way my son Finnegan likes it!
Fresh Berry Cobbler
This classic cobbler is "wicked easy" to make and is made using a combination of fresh berries, which provide sweetness and texture to the filling.
- 1 Baking Dish
- 1 bowl
- 4 tbsp Butter, divided into tbsps.
- 5 oz Sugar
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 4 cups Fresh Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- As Needed Vanilla Ice Cream or whipped cream (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and then grease a baking dish that is approximately 8" x 8" with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 ounces (½ cup) of the sugar, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, the cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of the fresh lemon zest.
- When combined well, add in the berries and toss to coat evenly. Stir in the vanilla extract and the lemon juice.
- Pour the berry mixture into the prepared baking dish, and then scrape any of the remaining juices from the bowl onto the fruit mixture.
- In the same bowl used to mix the berries, add in the 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the remaining lemon zest, flour, baking powder, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, cut the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter into the flour until pea-sized lumps form. Then stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Evenly cover the top of the berry mixture with spoonfuls of the dough mixture and then sprinkle the remaining ounce of sugar on top of the cobbler.
- Place the baking dish into the preheated oven and bake until the cobbler is golden and bubbling, about 35 minutes.
- To serve, use a large spoon to scoop out portions of the cobbler into individual dessert bowls. Serve warm, topped with the optional whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Please follow, share, and like us: